I’m a Boston-based writer, photographer, and author of The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women: 50 Trailblazers of Comedy (Running Press) available now at any of your favorite bookeries. I am represented by Full Circle Literary.
I understand I’m supposed to have a “BRAND” like Starbucks or Lego. Unfortunately I’m a HUMAN PERSON. Does that count? If so, when can I expect the texts from Michelle Obama and Betty White? I can tell you that I’m about the funny–writing about humor and humor writing. I can also tell you that I’m definitely not an influencer of any kind (sorry advertisers!), but I am easily influenced (hello advertisers!)
I have a PhD in Gender & Theatre Studies from Northwestern University and am a freelance copywriter and creative/content consultant. I have contributed on-air to the nationally syndicated podcasts Backstory with the History Guys and Trailblazers with Walter Isaacson and been featured on radio as a guest of Chicago’s WGN Bill Leff & Wendy Snyder Show. I’m also a photographer. I share most widely on Instagram: @wordnerdshe. Prints are available for purchase (real money, not “hugs” or “high-fives,” fool me a few times on that one!) and licensing. All rights reserved.
I’m available for speaking and workshop opportunities. To start a conversation, email: smoeschen(at)gmail.com
- Finding self-confidence through humor (especially aimed at women)
- Humor is your superpower—stress less, feel better, and laugh more (wellness related)
- Unlocking creativity through play & humor
- Exploring laughter and humor as tools for resilience and resistence
- Transforming your personal story through the humor
- Empowering healthier self-esteem in girls and women
- Networking/communication skills for women—using humor/improv & storytelling techniques for easier, more relaxed networking/communication situations
- Women get rid of negativity & toxic self-talk—using humor/improv techniques on how to become aware of and transform negative self-image/toxic self-talk practices
- Wellness/self-care workshops for women caregivers: with Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy traveling in the US to local chapters to meet with women (group size 10-15) and at annual conference (group size 20+)
- Discover, Own, Share Your Story: Using writing, journaling, and creativity prompts/techniques to identify the authentic elements of your story and learn how to shape and share your narrative
- Creativity in Business: worked with former academic colleague to give workshops on connection between improv principles and creativity in business. Group size 20+, Boston area; gave several workshops at the Bentley University Women’s Leadership Annual Conference on self-presentation through improv